Welcome to the Cortes Island Museum & Archives

The Cortes Island Museum & Archives is a place to reflect on the rich social and natural history of Cortes Island, imagine what it was like “back then” and celebrate with us this extraordinary place we call home.

We wish to acknowledge the toq qaymɩxʷ (Klahoose), ɬəʔamɛn qaymɩxʷ (Tla’amin) and ʔop qaymɩxʷ (Homalco) Nations on whose territories the Cortes Island Museum & Archives works and is situated upon. 



Web Design by Ester Strijbos


Summer Hours

Cortes Island Museum

Our gallery on 957 Beasley Road is open at summer hours, Tuesday to Sunday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. starting Saturday, June 15,  until Sunday, September 15.

We are home to a Visitor/Tourist Information Booth. Information items and brochures are available any time on the outside wall.

Our exhibits include:

Curiosity Cabinets – filled with mysterious natural history specimens and strange artifacts provides a sneak peek at Curiouser & Curiouser, part of an exhibition being assembled as part of the Museum’s 20th anniversary.

That Was Then / This Is Now – a retrospective of the Museum’s 20 years.

First Nations Exhibit – featuring stone implements, tools and baskets, is available for viewing in our workroom area.

Permanent Panels – information gleaned from previous displays add to the historical record of Cortes  Island and are available in our workroom area. 

Heritage Garden – Relax and enjoy the blooming scents of summer any time in our Heritage Garden. Picnic under the apple trees.

Wild Cortes at Linnaea Farm Education Centre

1255 Seaford Road,  open now on Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Wild Cortes, the Museum’s satellite exhibit and well-loved display of taxidermy curated by taxidermist Laurel Bohart, also includes selections from our past natural history exhibits.