Significance: This is one of six magneto wall telephones purchased in 1955 by the Cortes Island Woman’s Institute at a cost of $5.00 each including the wire, insulators and batteries. To be used in emergencies, they were placed at strategic locations around the island. In 1968, B.C. Tel hooked Cortes into their system and offered residential service to the island.
Date range: circa 1918
Place of Manufacture: Montreal, Canada
Accession Number: 2015.3
Location: Permanent collection, exhibit room
Donor: David Edwards