Manson’s Landing School

Manson’s Landing School

The log school shown in these pictures stood near the corner of Sutil Point and Beasley roads, across from the present-day Manson’s Hall on the property. This was the third log school in the Manson’s Landing area. The first, open from 1895 to 1898, was near the corner of Lagoon and Seaford roads; the second was near the corner of Sutil Point and Bartholomew roads in 1902 and 1903.

The school was built in 1908 and opened with 14 pupils. These photographs were taken by Miss Katherine Lettice, “a very fine teacher,” who taught there between 1914 and 1917. The students had a garden in the schoolyard where they grew vegetables such as corn and beans as well as flowers in an ornamental border.

A dogwood tree beside the school planted by Miss Lettice became an island landmark. The original dogwood died; the one planted by Ben Beaulieu and Ruth Robertson when they were running the Taka Mika restaurant is located just to the side of the driveway for the Natural Foods Co-op. The log schoolhouse was located just south of this dogwood tree.

Back to Images of Pioneer Life page

Web Design by Ester Strijbos

X